Monday, November 1, 2010

It's November

It's November. Wow.

In many ways, it doesn't feel like November to me.  That may have something to do with the fact that it was 86 degrees here today.  I went to the grocery store and while loading my car, I got sweaty...in November.  To be fair though, I get sweaty every time I take two kids to the grocery store to buy a cart load of groceries.  It is no easy task. 

Despite the crazy weather, I am determined to do fall-y things.  I have made three loaves of Pumpkin Apple Bread this season.  Snuggle on the couch, get a cup of coffee and a slice of this bread, and it's easy to pretend there is a chill in the air.  I like to trick myself with this little treat.  (Oh, yes.  That sentence was planned.  Pun intended people.)



Here is the recipe I use.  It is SUPER easy.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't do it.  I do not like cooking. Or baking. Or any other kitchen activity.  Oh, wait.  I do like eating.  Anyway, try it.

Pumpkin Apple Bread
(Based on a recipe from September 2006 Working Mother Magazine.  I have changed the amounts of some ingredients and added a couple things, so I guess it's my own now.)

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk.  Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to regular milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Magic.)
1 apple, peeled, cored, and grated
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree

1.  Put your oven on 350 degrees.  Coat a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3.  In a small bowl, beat egg.   Then add in buttermilk, apple, and pumpkin.
4.  Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients.  Don't overmix.
5. Pour into pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes.  Check it with a toothpick to see if it's done.

Enjoy any fall morning.  Cool weather optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment